I had previously posted some ideas on optional variant rules for Dinosaur Cowboys. Basically it was a list of neat ideas that just barely didn’t make it into the core rules for a variety of reasons. In most cases it was because they would overly complicate the core rules, or slow down the game, or overwhelm the players with options. But all the ideas are still very valid and interesting.
So I cleaned those up and formatted them and put them in the v0.9 rules as a new “Variant Rules” section. I’ve also pasted that section below so you can see:
These optional rules can be used by players to give a different feel to certain situations in the game. Both players have to agree ahead of time on which rules (if any) to use. Most of these variants were created where they may have added too much complexity to the game or changed the overall flavor.
Fumbles: Any unmodified rolls of 1 count as -1 Hit, to a minimum of 0 hits.
Armor Damage Reduction: Instead of modifying Miss Chance, Armor directly reduces damage equal to the Armor Rating.
For example being hit for 5 damage with Flak Armor (AR 3) would mean only 2 damage is done.
Miss Chance in Melee: Instead of using RMC for ranged weapons in melee, use MMC instead. Still apply the “In Melee” penalty.
Running Target: +1 Miss Chance against targets that Ran.
Variable Run: Instead of Run providing an additional 1/2 Movement statistic, roll a D6 as inches instead.
Purchasing IP: 1 IP can be bought for $10.
Mount Protection: Any riders add the Dinosaurs AR to their own when attacked while Mounted.
Downed at 0 HP: Instead of removing an entity when they reach 0 HP or less, place them face down instead. They can take no actions and cannot be attacked, but an ally can heal Hitpoints (using a Medpack, Whiskey Drop, etc.) to restore the Downed entity.
Yeehaw Action: Instead of allowing 1 re-roll in 12″, this ability can provide one free Action Phase to any entity (even one who was already Activated) in 12″.
Here are some other possible variants and improvements the players could extend and elaborate.
- Can buy and set Traps like spiked pits, tripwires, etc. Deployed before battle and the X-Y coordinates (in inches) are marked down to keep them hidden from opponents.
- Some kind of “quick draw” with Six-Shooters that lets you roll off / duel an opponent within short range.
- Gatling Gun (or similar) that has variable D6 or D12 Attacks instead of a set number.
- Fire rules for Molotov cocktails (maybe a X” wide patch that lasts until the end of the turn?), get same attack if target enters or is pushed into it
- Weather effects (sandstorm, acid rain, etc.) and hazardous terrain (lava, quicksand, etc.).
- Dinosaur equipment upgrades (armor plates, extra saddle, etc.).
- Weapon upgrades (laser sight, etc.) that grant additional benefits to the gun, such as +1A or +1D.
- Non-Dinosaur beasts (Sabertooth cats, Woolly Mammoths, etc.).